This is another of the chutneys that is used to make bhel puri. The ingredients I have used is a variant on the date and tamarind chutney. This chutney can be used as a dip for a lot of snacks, and a bit of it can also be smeared on a sandwich for extra flavour.
- Dried plums – 1 cup
- De-seeded tamarind – 1 cup
- Jaggery or soft brown sugar – 1 cup
- Black salt – 1 tsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Roasted cumin powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Soak the dried plums. tamarind and jaggery in 1 cup of hot water.
- When cool enough to handle, put them in a blender jar blend together until you get a thick, smooth consistency.
- Heat up a big pot or wok, add 1/2 tsp. of cumin seeds and roast them gently.
- Add the blended purée, the salt and roasted cumin powder and bring to a boil.
- Let it cook for about 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Remove from heat, cool down and store in the refrigerator. You can also freeze a portion of it at this stage.