This is a quick and delicious version of sambar that is best served with idlis or dosais. If you are ever invited for a Tamilian wedding breakfast, you would surely be served this sambar.
But hey, why wait till then? You can make it at home quite easily!
- Tuvar dal – 1/2 cup
- Masur dal – 1/2 cup
- Onions – 1 medium-sized one
- Tomatoes – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp.
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Fenugreek seeds – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Soak the dals in cold water for about 1/2 an hour.
- Boil the soaked dal in plenty of water and turmeric powder until soft and mushy. Or you could pressure cook them.
- Chop the onion and tomatoes and keep aside.
- In a wok, heat the oil.
- When hot, add the mustard seeds and the fenugreek seeds.
- When all the mustard seeds have crackled, add the onions and sauté until pale brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and salt to taste.
- And the curry leaves.
- When they soften, add the sambar powder and the asafoetida powder. Sauté for a minute more.
- Add the cooked dals and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
Serve hot with idlis or dosais.