Baked beans de-luxe (without ANY fat!) Spicy and delicious with all the elements of the canned baked beans that we all love. This is a good dish to have in your refrigerator. You can even freeze some, if you like. I promise you will never buy a can of baked beans again, once you make this recipe!
- Dry white beans – 3 cups (soaked overnight)
- Onion – 1 large. or 2 small ones
- Tomato purée – 1 cup
- Brown sugar – 1/2 cup
- Ground pepper – 1/2 tsp.
- Paprika – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Chop the onion finely.
- Boil the beans in a big heavy pot, covering the beans with water by at least one inch.
- When they are soft, add all the other ingredients. Do not add salt or sugar before the beans are fully cooked, as this will harden them.
- Let everything cook together for another 20 minutes.Taste and add any other ingredients, like salt, pepper or sugar.
- Serve with toasted bread, lavishly buttered.