This is a huge favourite of my family. Once you make it and taste it, you’ll know why – it is spicy, tangy and sweet at the same time!
Spices to toast and powder:
- Black peppercorns – 1 tsp.
- Coriander seeds – 4 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp.
- Red chillies – 4 to 6
- Chicken thigh fillets – 1 1/2 kg
- Ginger – 2″ piece
- Garlic – 8 to 10 cloves
- Chopped coriander leaves – 4 tbsp.
- Soy sauce – 4 tbsp.
- Soft brown sugar – 2 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice – 4 tbsp.
- Dry roast the spices till toasted and fragrant.
- Cool and powder. Keep aside.
- Grind together the ginger, garlic and lemon juice. Mix in a large bowl, the ginger, garlic pastes. the lemon juice, coriander leaves, the spice powder, soy sauce, brown sugar and salt to taste.
- Marinade the chicken pieces in this and refrigerate overnight (or at least for 2 hours. The longer it marinades, the better it is going to taste)
- Get your barbecue ready. Coals or gas or electric, the choice is yours.
- When the barbecue is ready, place the chicken thighs on it.
- When the side has cooked (about 15 minutes), turn it over on to the other side and grill, till done and you get some singe marks on the chicken.
- Your chicken is ready to be served!